Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sleep Training

It's been a while since I've posted anything! I'm finding that there's really no time for ME until 8:00 or 9:00 at night, at which point I'm wiped out, so blogging has definitely taken a back seat.

Dylan is now 8 weeks old and is still growing like a weed! For the past 5 days or so he's been sleeping for an 8 hour stretch at night, starting around 8:00ish. Woo hoo! We have his two month checkup in a week and a half, so it will be fun to see what he's weighing and measuring. Things got more difficult with Dylan at about week 5, when he decided that he would not sleep in his bed for naps anymore - he HAD to be held. That's mostly the situation we're still dealing with. At the end of this past week I finally got fed up with it and decided I had to start sleep training. It's been crazy - if I hold Dylan for his naps, at least he gets the sleep he needs, but Micah doesn't get as much attention as he needs from me, so he gets crabby and gets himself into trouble. But if I don't hold Dylan (try to put him in his bed), he gets overtired and just SCREAMS like nobody's business! At least then Micah's pretty happy! Then, during Micah's nap I'm still stuck holding Dylan the whole time, so I never get any down time during the day. So like I said, I've finally had it with that. I need Dylan to sleep in his bed for all of our sanity! I'm starting slowly by putting him to sleep first, then laying him down. This works maybe 50% of the time or less. But I figure that each time it DOES work is one time closer to acceptance for him. :) With Micah I didn't start this process until he was around 4 months, and after it was done, I realized that was WAY too long to wait. But at that age, I was able to let him cry it out in his crib, and after one week it was over. I don't know that I can do that with Dylan at this age, but I'll be asking his Dr. at his 2 month visit! I'm SO looking forward to having at least a little time to myself in the afternoon when both boys are napping...all in good time, I suppose.

Our other problem at the moment is that riding in the car is complete misery. Just like Micah when he was young, Dylan absolutely HATES his carseat. He starts screaming the second we put him in there, and doesn't stop until we get where we're going and take him out. Poor Micah gets really fed up with the noise (so do we!), so he starts screaming and crying at the top of his lungs too. I can't blame him - I wish I could do the same sometimes! :) I don't know that there's anything I can do about this situation, other than to just pray that it passes quickly. In the mean time, I try not to go anywhere unless it's necessary. But that means we're stuck at home a lot, which is no fun either. So, I think we're back to just praying that this passes quickly. Anyone have any advice or tips??? (Yes, we've tried the paci, but Dylan isn't too interested in paci's. He couldn't hold it in his own mouth anyway. He doesn't end up falling asleep in the car, either, after crying a while. At least Micah did that!)

Other than all that, we're enjoying our boys and are getting used to the new normal. Dylan is a sweet, smiley boy when he's happy, and Micah is continuing to blow us away with the new words he's constantly learning and lately how he's kissing everything, including his brother. If Dylan is anywhere near as entertaining as Micah is, we'll always be laughing in our house! :)

2 comments:

Rob and Becky said...

great update! Wish I had some advice about the screaming in the car thing. Braden did that too-- I mean scream bloody murder! And I had to seriously think about how bad I wanted to get out of the house. Around 4 to 6 months, it got better, but man it was tough. I'm feeling for you (and praying too!)

Unknown said...

I don't have any advice either other than taking deep breaths. I like your approach of praying that it passes soon. I don't think there is much else you can do. One thought, could it be that the car seat straps are too tight?